Sixteen Years Ago Today
Sixteen years ago today,
- I spent the day in a barn outside McMinnville rehearsing with my band.
- I raced home, hurriedly showed, and frantically tried to not look frantic.
- I got picked up outside my apartment, right on schedule, and was driven to a mystery location.
- I was nervous when the mystery location turned out to be a sushi restaurant.
- I had never eaten sushi.
- I ordered teriyaki.
- I tried every piece of sushi that arrived on his plate anyway.
- I didn’t hate it.
- I talked about family, and my desire to not have children, which I realized was an odd topic for a first date.
- I was pleasantly surprised to hear he felt the same way.
- I couldn’t hide my squeamishness when he ordered deep-fried shrimp heads, or when they arrived with several-inches-long antennae.
- I turned to see him put a deep-friend shrimp head in his mouth, shrimp face pointing out, then watched as he moved it around with his tongue, saying (in a Mr. Bill voice), “Oh no! Don’t eat me!“
- I laughed.
- (I was asked later why he got a second date.)
- I went with him to a coffee shop on Hawthorne after sushi.
- I raised an eyebrow when he gave his name to the barista as “Fidel.”
- I was told his name is common enough, that it made sense to have a “coffee name.”
- I agreed, that did make sense.
- I was given a “coffee name,” but it didn’t stick.
- I sat outside with him.
- I jumped when a car honked its horn.
- I was tired.
- I got dropped off outside my apartment and fell into bed.
- I don’t remember when we spoke next, but he did get a second date.
Happy first date anniversary to a man who still surprises me.
photo by Jessica Spiegel and may not be used without permission