Most people these days know me best as “the Italy girl,” and with good reason. But in the last year or so I’ve been asked multiple times either for visitor’s tips or relocation information for the city I currently call home – a city I love dearly – Portland, Oregon. Replying to those queries always reminds me how fantastic Portland is, so it’s particularly fun for me that this, my first contribution as a blogger to the exceptionally cool Passports with Purpose fundraiser, is a Portland travel package.
Wait, what’s Passports with Purpose?
Funny you should ask, because the Passports with Purpose crew put together a blog post with this very same title – “What’s Passports with Purpose?” – to help explain it. I encourage you to read the post, but if you want the nutshell version, here it is:
- PwP is a travel blogging fundraiser that raises money for charitable organizations
- PwP is in its third year – in 2008, they raised $7400 for Heifer International; in 2009, they raised $30,000 for American Assistance for Cambodia to build a school in Cambodia; in 2010 the goal is to raise $50,000 for LAFTI International to build a village in India
- People donate increments of $10 (tax deductible) to the charitable organization PwP is working with that year, & in return they get an entry toward the prize of their choice (procured by travel bloggers)
- People can donate as much as they like, and for each $10 donation they get another entry toward a prize
- Winners are selected randomly from all the entries for each prize (this year names will be drawn on December 13)
I’ve made donations and thrown my name in the hat for various prizes over the last two years, but this is the first time I’m participating as a travel blogger with a prize.
Portland Perks Travel Package Prize Details
Before I get to what you can win if your name is selected for this prize, I wanted to take a moment to thank the folks at Travel Portland for contributing the travel package itself, for blazing the trail when it comes to being a tourist information office engaged in social media (they’re the ones behind the “Twisitor Center” Twitter account, @travelportland), and for being stellar representatives of a city that deserves the praise. Don’t take my word for it, either – download the PDF of the outstanding Travel Portland magazine before a trip here and see for yourself.
Now then, let’s say you’re thinking of putting one (or more!) of your $10 Passports with Purpose entries toward this Portland Perks package – here’s what you’ll win if your name is drawn:
- Two-night stay in one of the participating Portland Perks hotels, subject to availability
- Free overnight parking (a savings of more than $25/night downtown)
- Free continental breakfast for two
- Discount-packed Portland Perks coupon book with savings on shopping, dining, attractions and the arts
Note that you’ll have a year from the date of the prize drawing to use the prize.
There are 40 different hotels you can choose from in the Portland Perks listings, so finding one that suits your style and is where you want to be in the city shouldn’t be a problem. And that coupon book isn’t something people can just buy – it’s only available to people who are in the city for a convention, or who book the Portland Perks travel package for themselves. In other words, it’s got coupons and discounts in it that you won’t find widely available, and that will save you quite a bit during your visit to Portland (you can see the discounts available on the Portland Perks website).
In addition to all of this, if the winner of the Portland Perks travel package is interested, I’m happy to contribute my own personal suggestions of stuff I love to do, see, and eat in the city – and if the winner happens to visit when I’m in town, I’d also be pleased to meet up for coffee, happy hour, or even a food cart feast. Just say the word!
>> Go here to donate to LAFTI for Passports with Purpose and choose the prizes you want to be in the running to win.
Get a Portland Perks Travel Package for Yourself – Anytime
I want to thank Travel Portland again for contributing a Portland Perks travel package to the Passports with Purpose fundraiser this year, and I also want to let you know that if you don’t win the Portland Perks package you can book your own directly from the Travel Portland website. The perks are the same as the prize offered here, the only difference being you’ll have to foot the bill for the hotel – you’ll still get the free continental breakfast for two, free overnight parking, and a Portland Perks coupon book.
Thank you for supporting Passports with Purpose, and good luck!
>> Travel Portland is offering a special incentive for holiday shopping, on stays between now until December 20th – at certain hotels in the Portland Perks listings you’ll get $50 in cash at check-in when you book at least two nights through Portland Perks. If you win this prize through Passports with Purpose and can make the trip quickly enough, you can take advantage of this offer; otherwise, it’s yet another reason to book your own Portland Perks trip before the holidays!
Travel Portland has produced some fun videos to promote Portland Perks; my favorite includes local singer/songwriter/actress Storm Large:
photo of downtown Portland by Rachel Sandwick